Young Carers are children and young people under the age of 19, who help to look after or support a member of their family due to one or more of the following:
- Physical or learning disability
- Mental illness
- Physical illness
- Drug and / or alcohol problems
- Long term illness / condition
The person the Young Carer looks after might be their parent, a sibling, a grandparent or any other person living in the family home. They may look after that person by themselves or could help someone else, they may not even have a physical caring role but offer emotional support to their loved one. Many young people don't even realise they that they are a Young Carer.
If you or someone you know are not sure if you are a Young Carer, ask yourself:
- Are you aged between 8-19 and live in either Barking & Dagenham or Thurrock?
- Do you need support?
- Would you like to meet other Young Carers who also have a caring role?
If the answer is YES we can help...